07/10/21 Joburg Indaba Day 2 Session 1.
Chaired by Fiona Perrott-Humphrey, Aim Mining Research, and Senior Adviser, Mining Team, Global Advisory, Rothschild & Co. London
– Brett Beatty, Partner, and Head of Australia, Resource Capital Funds
– Olivia Markham, Managing Director, Natural Resources, BlackRock
– Mick McMullen, CEO, Metals Acquisition
- Are we in a super cycle or an “energy-spiked” cycle? What are the main drivers affecting the current rising commodity prices and how long will this last?
- What implications does this have for mining companies’ strategies and future growth?
- What are some of the risks of the current bull market, e.g., increased taxes/royalties, demands for increased wages, etc.?
- What are the potential rewards? Is now the time to make capital investments or exercise capital discipline?
- What are the prospects for mining given the Covid recovery strategies of the developed countries/regions and the current global impetus towards clean energy?
- How can South African mining companies ensure that they take advantage of these opportunities?